Interested in growing muscle? Of course you are! Here are some recommendations from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. These tips are basic but will improve your weight training workouts when incorporated.
- Do workouts that maximize muscle mass.
- Do multiple sets of 8-12 reps per set.
- Rest approximately 1 minute between sets.
- Include multi-joint (compound) and single-joint (isolated) exercises in your program.
- Push some of the sets to failure.
- Do the concentric (muscle shortening) portion of the lift quickly, and the eccentric (muscle lengthening under tension) more slowly.
- Practice supersets to maximize the efficiency of the workout.
- Use a split routine that emphasizes different body segments each workout.
(Journal Strength and Conditioning Research, 24:2857-2872,2010)